To fix “The application has unexpectedly stopped working” Modern Warfare 2, you need to update your graphics can and verify the game files.
You can also try disabling overlays/conflicting programs and repairing/verifying the game files.
Modern Warfare 2 features an unparalleled worldwide conflict that returns the Task Force 141 Operators.
There are highly classified missions, infiltration tactical ops, and more.
Infinity Ward provides state-of-the-art gameplay with revamped gun handling, an advanced AI system, a new Gunsmith, and many other graphical innovations.
MW2 has multiple modes like a single-player campaign, multiplayer combat, and a co-op story special Ops experience.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix “The application has unexpectedly stopped working” Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (MW2) crash handler.
- Fix 1: Update your drivers
- Fix 2: Repair/verify the game files
- Fix 3: Allow Modern Warfare 2 in your antivirus
- Fix 4: Disable overlays/conflicting programs
Fix 1: Update your drivers
- If you’re using an Nvidia GPU: Go to https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/download/ > Download Now > open the app > sign up or log in > Drivers > Download.
- If you’re using an AMD GPU: Go to https://www.amd.com/en/support > Download > open the app > follow the on-screen instructions to update your graphics card.
Fix 2: Repair/verify the game files
- Navigate to your Steam library.
- Right-click Modern Warfare 2 > Properties > Local Files.
- Click on “Verify integrity of game files”.
- Launch Modern Warfare 2.
- Navigate to your Battle.net library.
- Select “Modern Warfare 2”.
- Click on the settings icon.
- Click on Scan and Repair > Begin Scan.
- Launch Modern Warfare 2.
Fix 3: Allow Modern Warfare 2 in your antivirus
- Open the Windows settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage ransomware protection > Allow an app through Controlled folder access > Add an allowed app > Browse all apps > select the Modern Warfare 2 app > Open.
- Open the Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall > Change settings > Allow another app… > Browse… > select the Modern Warfare 2 app > Add.
- Turn off Real-time protection: Open the Windows settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Real-time protection > Off.
Fix 4: Disable overlays/conflicting programs
- Go to your Steam library > right-click Modern Warfare 2 > Properties > Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game > Disable.
- Open Steam > Steam > Settings > Downloads > Clear Download Cache.
- Unplug the Logitech or Thrustmaster racing wheel.
- End the task for the MSI Dragon Center or Razer Synapse.
- Close all of your tabs to free up RAM and relaunch the game.
How to Fix Modern Warfare 2 Stuck on Installing
How to Fix Lag, Stuttering, or FPS drops in Modern Warfare 2