Are you looking to change your background or theme on Discord?
At the present time, most apps allow you to change your background on it.
For example, WhatsApp allows you to change the background of your chats by navigating to “Chat Wallpaper”.
Although the feature has existed for a long time, not many people know about it.
Some people who know about it might be contented with the standard WhatsApp wallpaper.
However, there are others who love customizing it to fit their own aesthetic.
Changing your background on Discord is more challenging as compared to changing your background on WhatsApp.
This is because you need to install a third-party app for it.
Hence, in this guide, you’ll learn how to change your background on Discord.
- How to Change Your Background on Discord
- How do I change my theme on Discord?
- Is BetterDiscord allowed?
How to Change Your Background on Discord
To change your background on Discord, you need to download BetterDiscord.
After you’ve downloaded BetterDiscord, download a theme from BetterDiscordLibrary and paste the CSS document in the Theme Folder.
Currently, Discord does not have a feature where you can customize your background or theme.
You can only change the appearance of the app to a dark or light theme.
There is also a couple of message display options you can choose from—Cozy and Compact.
Other than that, there aren’t any additional customization features.
In order to customize your background/theme on Discord, you need to use a third-party application like BetterDiscord.
BetterDiscord has a ton of features such as emotes, custom CSS, display modes, plugins, and custom themes.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how you can install the app and change your background on Discord.
1. Download BetterDiscord
Download BetterDiscord from GitHub.
The first step is to download BetterDiscord (now known as BandagedBD) on your desktop.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to do this on mobile—it only works on a desktop.
- Firstly, head on over to the BetterDiscordApp Github page where you can download the installer.
- Under “Assets”, you’ll see multiple folders that you can download.
- If you’re using Windows, click on the “BandagedBD_Windows.exe” folder to download it.
- On the other hand, if you’re using Mac, click on the “BandagedBD_Mac.zip” folder instead.
- After the folder is downloaded, double click on the installer.
- Then, click on the “Install BandagedBD” icon.
- Next, check the box for “Install to Stable” which will install the app in your C Drive.
- Lastly, click on the “Install” button to install BetterDiscord.
Keep in mind that BetterDiscord is not a separate application—it’s a client modification for Discord that allows you to add plugins and themes to it.
Hence, after you’ve successfully installed BetterDiscord, it will be integrated with Discord.
Proceed to the next step to find out how to change your background on Discord.
2. Download a theme from BetterDiscordLibrary
Select a theme from BetterDiscordLibrary and download it.
Now that you’ve successfully installed BetterDiscord, you can now change your theme on Discord.
Before that, you need to choose and download a theme of your choice.
- To begin with, head on over to the BetterDiscordLibrary website.
- Once you’re on the theme page, you’ll see a list of all the user-created themes.
- Select your favorite theme and download it by clicking on it (e.g. BasicBackground).
- Then, click on the “Download” button to download the CSS document of the theme.
Make sure to remember the folder that you’ve downloaded the theme to.
This is because you’ll be using it for the final step.
Proceed to the next and final step to learn how to change your background on Discord to the theme that you’ve just downloaded.
3. Open Discord and copy the theme over to the Theme Folder
Open Discord > User Settings > Themes > Open Theme Folder > Copy & paste the theme that you’ve downloaded to the Theme Folder.
Now that you’ve downloaded the theme of your choice, it’s time to replace the standard Discord theme with it.
In this step, you’ll be using BetterDiscord that you’ve downloaded from the first step.
- Firstly, open Discord on your desktop.
- Navigate to your Discord profile and click on the gear icon to go to the User Settings.
- Once you’re on the User Settings page, scroll to the bottom of the left sidebar.
- Under “Bandaged BD”, you’ll see a tab that says “Themes”.
- Click on “Themes” to go to the themes page.
- On the themes page, click on the “Open Theme Folder” button to open the theme folder.
- Then, open the file explorer and navigate to the CSS Document of the theme that you’ve downloaded from the second step.
- Copy and paste or move the CSS Document to the Theme Folder.
- Now, you’ll have an option to apply the background.
- Lastly, turn on the switch to enable the background on Discord.
Once you’re enabled the background, the standard background on Discord will be replaced with it.
Enable the theme to change your Discord background!
Congrats, you’ve successfully changed your background/theme on Discord!
If you want to disable the theme, simply turn off the switch of the theme.
You can also delete the theme by clicking on the “Trash” icon.
If you want to install more themes, you can do so on BetterDiscordLibrary website.
How do I change my theme on Discord?
To change your theme on Discord, navigate to the User Settings page by clicking on the gear icon on your profile.
Then, navigate to App Settings > Appearance > Themes > Dark/Light to change your theme to dark or light mode.
If you want more customizable options, you can download BetterDiscord.
BetterDiscord allows you to change the theme of the app to a user-created one from BetterDiscordLibrary.
Is BetterDiscord allowed?
BetterDiscord is technically not allowed on Discord as it’s against Discord’s Terms of Service.
However, no one has been banned on Discord from using it, so it’s safe to assume that you won’t get banned as well.
Client modifications aren’t monitored by Discord, so you’re taking a risk by installing them.
That being said, BetterDiscord is safe to use as it’s used by thousands of people.
In addition, they have a support server on Discord with over 92,000 members.
BetterDiscord is the most popular client modification tool on Discord.
Currently, there aren’t many customization options on Discord in terms of themes.
Discord is yet to release a feature that allows users to change the background on the app as well.
For now, users have to rely on client modifications to change it.