Are you looking to change your background or theme on Discord?
Currently, most social networking apps allow you to change your background.
For example, you can change the background of your chats on WhatsApp via “Chat Wallpaper”.
The feature was introduced so that users can personalize their experience on the app.
Some users don’t mind the standard Discord background.
However, others love to customize the colors on the app to fit their own aesthetic.
However, changing your background/theme on Discord is not easy because you need to use a third-party app.
Hence, in this guide, you’ll learn how to change your background or theme on Discord using BetterDiscord.
- How to Change Your Background on Discord
- How do I change my theme on Discord?
- Is BetterDiscord allowed?
How to Change Your Background on Discord
To change your background on Discord, you need to download BetterDiscord and download a theme from the library.
Lastly, copy and paste the theme’s CSS document into the Theme Folder.
Currently, Discord does not have a feature where you can customize your background or theme.
You can only change the appearance of the app to a dark or light theme.
There are also a couple of message display options you can choose from—Cozy and Compact.
Hence, if you want to customize your background/theme on Discord, you need to use a third-party application like BetterDiscord.
BetterDiscord has a ton of features such as emotes, custom CSS, display modes, plugins, and custom themes.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how you can download the app and change your background on Discord.
1. Download BetterDiscord
The first step is to download BetterDiscord (now known as BandagedBD) on your desktop.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to do this on mobile—it only works on a desktop.
- Go to https://betterdiscord.app/.
- Click on the download button and run the installer.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Install BetterDiscord > Discord > Install.
Do note that BetterDiscord is not a separate application—it’s a client modification for Discord that allows you to add plugins and themes to it.
Hence, after you’ve successfully installed BetterDiscord, it will be automatically integrated with Discord.
2. Download a theme from BetterDiscordLibrary
Now that you’ve successfully installed BetterDiscord, you can now change your theme on Discord.
Before that, you need to choose and download a theme of your choice.
- Go to https://betterdiscord.app/themes.
- On the theme page, you’ll see a list of all the user-created themes.
- Find and select your favorite theme.
- Click on the “Download” button to download the CSS document of the theme.
Make sure to remember the folder that you’ve downloaded the theme to.
This is because you’ll be using it for the final step to change your background on Discord to the theme that you’ve just downloaded.
3. Open Discord and copy the theme over to the Theme Folder
Now that you’ve downloaded the theme of your choice, you need to replace the standard Discord theme with it.
To do so, you’ll need to use BetterDiscord (the app that you’ve downloaded from the first step).
- Open Discord > Discord profile > gear icon (User Settings).
- Navigate to your Discord profile and click on the gear icon to go to the User Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the left sidebar and select “Themes”.
- Click on the “Open Theme Folder” button.
- Open the file explorer and navigate to the CSS Document of the theme that you’ve downloaded from the second step.
- Copy and paste or move the CSS Document to the Theme Folder.
- Apply the background by turning on the switch.
Once you’ve enabled the background, the standard background on Discord will be replaced with it.
Congrats, you’ve successfully changed your background/theme on Discord!
If you want to disable the theme, simply turn off the switch of the theme.
You can also delete the theme by clicking on the “Trash” icon.
If you want to install more themes, you can visit https://betterdiscord.app/themes.
How do I change my theme on Discord?
To change your theme on Discord, navigate to the User Settings page by clicking on the gear icon on your profile.
Then, navigate to App Settings > Appearance > Themes > Dark/Light to change your theme to dark or light mode.
If you want additional customizable options, you can download BetterDiscord.
BetterDiscord allows you to change the theme of the app to a user-created one from BetterDiscordLibrary.
Is BetterDiscord allowed?
BetterDiscord is technically not allowed on Discord as it’s against Discord’s Terms of Service.
However, no one has been banned on Discord from using it, so it’s safe to assume that you won’t get banned as well.
Client modifications are monitored by Discord, so you’re taking a risk by installing them.
That being said, BetterDiscord is safe to use as it’s used by thousands of people.
In addition, they have a support server on Discord with over 92,000 members.
BetterDiscord is the most popular client modification tool on Discord.
Currently, there aren’t many customization options on Discord like themes.
Discord is yet to release a feature that allows users to change the background on the app as well.
For now, users have to rely on client modifications to change it.