A gaming blog is a website that typically publishes video game guides, news, and reviews.
If you’re looking to make a gaming blog, you don’t have to code.
Instead, you can use a CMS (content management system) like WordPress (.org).
WordPress is used by over 40% of all websites on the internet, and it’s the gold standard for website creation.
This quick and easy guide teaches you how to start a gaming blog (video game) in a few hours of work and with minimal expenses.
Just so that you know you’re in good hands—I’m the founder of this website (that’s also built on WordPress).
I have multiple years of experience in SEO, blogging (writing video game guides), and website creation.
Here is how to start a gaming blog in 7 easy steps:
- Get web hosting
- Choose a domain name for your gaming blog
- Install WordPress
- Choose a theme
- Install plugins
- Start posting video game content
- Monetize your gaming blog
1. Get web hosting
- To get your gaming blog up and running, you need to get web hosting.
- SiteGround hosting is highly recommended because it’s fast, secure, and reliable.
- Click here to save up to 80% on SiteGround hosting.
- Choose between 3 plans—StartUp, GrowBig (recommended), or GoGeek.
2. Choose a domain name for your gaming blog
- Try choosing a domain name that’s branded, broad, and ends with .com.
- Other extensions like .org, .net, or .io, are fine too, but they are not the most common.
- For example, if you’re creating a gaming blog, you can name it “gamingparadise.com”.
- Review the order and pay using a debit/credit card.
3. Install WordPress
- Select “Set Up Website” to start the installation process.
- Select “Start New Website” and select “WordPress”.
- Choose if you want to add extra services.
- Select “Finish” and wait for WordPress to install.
Tip: If you need help with the installation process, you can contact SiteGround’s 24/7 support for help.
4. Choose a theme
- Once WordPress is finished installing, you need to choose a theme (the design of your blog).
- For a Gaming blog, I recommend buying a premium theme like GeneratePress, Divi, or Astra.
- Click here to get GeneratePress (one of the fastest themes) for the best price.
- After you’ve bought a theme, install it, and navigate to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Themes > Upload Theme.
- To customize your theme, go to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Customize.
Tip #1: You can find great WordPress themes on EnvatoMarket.
Tip #2: If you need help with customizing your theme, you can contact your theme’s support.
Tip #3: You can create a gaming logo for free using Namecheap’s logo maker (it’s the best logo maker that I’ve used).
5. Install plugins
Recommended plugins to install:
- Google Site Kit – Easily connect your site to Google Analytics to see real-time visitors and stats.
- Yoast SEO – An all-in-one SEO plugin for WordPress that you can use to add an XML sitemap (a site directory).
- Jetpack – A security, speed, and stats plugin.
Tip: To install plugins, go to your WordPress dashboard > Plugins > Add new.
6. Start posting video game content
- Since you’re starting a gaming blog, you need to research PC, PS4/PS5, and Xbox games to write about.
- You can write about gaming guides (e.g. how to craft a diamond pickaxe in Minecraft), reviews, news, and more.
- To find content ideas, you can use the Google Keyword Planner or browse similar blogs (e.g. IGN, GamesRadar, PCGamer).
- When writing your post, make sure to include headers, spacing, lists, and media to engage your readers.
- You can also add categories and tags to your post on the right sidebar.
- Click on the “Publish” button after you’re done writing the post.
Tip #1: If your blog is new, your posts will start ranking on Google after 3 to 6 months (if they are of quality).
Tip #2: Try targeting low-competition keywords like “How to start a video game cafe” instead of “How to start a business”.
7. Monetize your gaming blog
- Once your gaming blog gains some traffic, you can start monetizing it.
- The easiest way to monetize your blog is to serve ads on it (you can earn $5 to $20 per 1,000 visitors).
- I recommend applying for Google AdSense or Ezoic.
- Click here to start using Ezoic to serve ads on your blog.
- You can also join the Amazon Associates program and include video game affiliate links in your articles.
Tip #1: Ezoic earns about 5x more than Google AdSense because of its technology.
Tip #2: After you’ve reached 50k or 100k monthly visitors, you can apply for Mediavine or Adthrive (both are premium ad networks).
How to Make a Website Like WikiHow
How to Make a Website Like Wikipedia