Are you experiencing a crash when you start the Stray game on your PC or Steam?
Stray might crash instantly or a few seconds after you launch it.
The game can also crash while you’re halfway playing it.
Either way, you need to fix the underlying issue to prevent it from crashing.
To fix it, you can try to verify the integrity of the game files for Stray, download and extract the dxvk file, or update your graphics card.
- Method 1: Verify the game files for Stray
- Method 2: Download and extract dxvk (Windows 7 only)
- Method 3: Update your graphics card
Method 1: Verify the game files for Stray
- Open Steam.
- Go to your library.
- Right-click the Stray game.
- Click on “Properties”.
- Select “Local Files”.
- Click on “Verify integrity of game files…”.
After you’ve clicked on “Verify integrity of game files…“, wait for the verification process to complete—this can take a few minutes.
Finally, try restarting the Stray game and see if the game stops crashing.
Method 2: Download and extract dxvk (Windows 7 only)
- Go to https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases.
- Download “dxvk-1.10.2.tar.gz”.
- Extract the file that you’ve just downloaded.
- Open the folder that is extracted.
- Open the “x64” folder.
- Copy all of the extension files in the folder.
- Open Steam and go to your library.
- Right-click the Stray game and click on “Properties”.
- Click on “Local Files” > “Browse”.
- Open “Hk_project” > “Binaries” > “Win64”.
- Paste all of the extension files that you’ve copied from step 6.
After you’ve pasted all of the extension files, try launching the Stray game.
This time, the game should be able to start without crashing.
Do note that this only works for the Windows 7 operating system.
If you’re using a newer version of Windows, you cannot use this method.
Instead, you can either try method 1 or 3.
Method 3: Update your graphics card
- Install the GeForce experience app: https://www.nvidia.com/en-sg/geforce/geforce-experience/download/ (if you’re using an Nvidia graphics card).
- Sign in or create a new Nvidia account (you can also use Facebook).
- Click on “Drivers” followed by “Check for updates”.
- Click on “Download” to update your graphics card.
After the update is downloaded, try launching the Stray game.
This time, Stray shouldn’t crash and you’ll be able to play it because your graphics card is updated.
If you’re using an AMD graphics card, you can update it by installing the app here: https://www.amd.com/en/support.
If you have any questions or more issues, you can post them in the Stray forum on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1332010/discussions/.