Are you getting a “UE4-HK_project” error when you start the Stray game on Steam?
Here’s the full error message, “The UE4-HK_project Game has crashed and will close”.
Many users are complaining that they are facing this error message.
If you’ve recently bought the Stray game, you won’t be able to play it until you fix the error.
To fix it, you can either try verifying the game files, downloading and extracting dxvk (for Windows 7), or updating your graphics card.
- Method 1: Verify the game files for Stray
- Method 2: Download and extract dxvk (for Windows 7)
- Method 3: Update your graphics card
Method 1: Verify the game files for Stray
- Open Steam.
- Go to your library.
- Right-click the Stray game.
- Click on “Properties”.
- Select “Local Files”.
- Click on “Verify integrity of game files…”.
After you’ve clicked on “Verify integrity of game files…”, wait until the process is completed.
Lastly, try starting the Stray game and see if the error message is fixed.
Method 2: Download and extract dxvk (for Windows 7)
- Go to https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases.
- Scroll down and download “dxvk-1.10.2.tar.gz”.
- Extract the file.
- Open the folder that is extracted.
- Open the “x64” folder.
- Copy all of the extension files in the folder.
- Open Steam and go to your library.
- Right-click the Stray game and click on “Properties”.
- Click on “Local Files” and click on “Browse”.
- Open the “Hk_project” folder.
- Open the “Binaries” folder followed by the “Win64” folder.
- Paste all of the extension files that you’ve copied from step #6.
After you’ve pasted all of the extension files, try starting the Stray game.
This time, the game should be able to start without crashing.
Keep in mind that this only works for the Windows 7 operating system.
If you’re using a newer version of Windows, you cannot use this method.
Method 3: Update your graphics card
- If you’re using an Nvidia graphics card, download the GeForce experience app: https://www.nvidia.com/en-sg/geforce/geforce-experience/download/.
- Sign in or create a new Nvidia account.
- Click on “Drivers” and click on “Check for updates”.
- Click on “Download”.
After the update is downloaded, try starting the Stray game.
This time, the game shouldn’t crash and you’ll be able to play it.
If you’re using an AMD graphics card, you can update it by downloading the app here: https://www.amd.com/en/support.
If you need more help, you can post your issue on the official Stray forum on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1332010/discussions/.