Is Chat GPT not working as intended or it shows an error message?
ChatGPT is an AI developed by OpenAI that interacts in a conversational manner.
It’s able to answer follow-up questions, reject inappropriate requests, and question assumptions.
It’s a company that develops and promotes advanced AI technology.
The goal of OpenAI is to create safe AI that benefits humanity and to advance AI research.
It was founded by Elon Musk and Sam Altman in 2015 in San Francisco, California.
In this guide, you’ll learn why is ChatGPT not working or is it down and how to fix common errors with the AI.
Why is ChatGPT not working?
ChatGPT is not working because it either has insufficient data, incorrectly formatted requests, network issues, or API rate limits.
Network or server issues will prevent the AI from accessing the model or retrieve responses.
Check if the ChatGPT server has issues by navigating to status.openai.com.
To avoid getting rate limited, you need to simplify your requests and send them in intervals.
How to fix ChatGPT not working
To fix ChatGPT not working, you must first check if the server is down by going to status.openai.com.
If it’s not down, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies or using a different browser.
If the website is open for too long, you need to refresh the page or re-log into it for the AI to work.
You can also sign up for a new account if you’re being rate limited.
Fix 1: Check OpenAI’s status and/or wait for a few hours
- Go to https://status.openai.com/ and check the status of OpenAI.
- A green bar means that the service is fully operational.
- If there are red, orange, or light green bars, it means that there’s an outage.
- Wait for a few hours before using ChatGPT again.
Fix 2: Clear your browser’s cache
- Chrome: Chrome > Three Dots > More Tools > Clear browsing data > Cookies and other site data + Cached images and files > Clear data.
- Edge: Edge > Three Dots > Settings > Privacy & services > Choose what to clear > Cached images and files + Cookies and other site data > Clear.
- Firefox: Firebox > Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Clear.
Fix 3: Use a different browser
- Try accessing ChatGPT on various browsers like Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, or Brave.
- If you’re using ChatGPT on a desktop, try using it on a mobile device on Safari or Chrome.
Fix 4: Log out and log in to ChatGPT
- Log out of ChatGPT by clicking on “Log out” on the left sidebar.
- Log in to ChatGPT and try using it again.
Note: You can also try refreshing the page instead of re-logging.
Fix 5: Sign up for a new account
- Log out of ChatGPT and click on “Sign up”.
- Sign up for a new account using another email address.
Note: This will allow you to bypass rate limits.