Threads is a text-based conversation app by Instagram that allows communities to engage in discussions about various topics.
Users can follow and connect with their favorite creators and like-minded individuals or build their own following.
The app provides access to Instagram followers and allows users to easily share their perspectives through threads.
It also facilitates connections with friends and creators, enabling users to react and participate in conversations.
Customizable settings and controls ensure privacy and safety, while the app offers a platform for finding inspiration.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to delete your Threads account permanently with your existing Instagram account or deactivate it.
How to deactivate your Threads account
- Open the Threads app and log in to the account that you want to deactivate.
- Tap on the profile icon on the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap on the menu icon and select “Account”.
- Select “Deactivate profile” followed by “Deactivate Threads profile”.
Note: Deactivating your profile is temporary—your profile, threads, replies, and likes will be hidden until you reactivate by logging back in.
How to delete your Threads account
To delete your Threads account, you need to delete your Instagram account—here’s how to do this:
- Open the Instagram app and log in to the account that you want to delete from Threads.
- Tap on your profile picture on the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap on the menu icon and select “Settings and privacy”.
- Select “Accounts Center” and select “Personal details”.
- Account ownership and control > Deactivation or deletion > Your account.
- Select “Delete account” followed by “Continue”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to delete both your Instagram and Threads accounts.
Note #1: According to the Instagram Help Center, Threads is powered by Instagram—so you need to delete your Instagram account in order to delete your Threads profile and data.
Note #2: Instagram is working on a way to delete your Threads profile separately—this article will be updated when there is a solution.