If you own a Discord server, adding rules helps to maintain order and safety.
However, it can be hard to come up with rules—especially good ones.
To come up with good Discord server rules, you need to identify the purpose of your server.
For example, if own a gaming server, you can add a rule to prevent buying, selling, or trading accounts.
You also need to brainstorm potential issues and identify the values that you want to promote.
If your server has multiple channels, you may need to implement channel-specific rules.
This article contains a curated list of good, basic, and aesthetic Discord server rules ideas that you can copy and paste.
- How do you create a Rules channel in Discord?
- How do you force people to read the rules in Discord?
- Good Discord server rules
How do you create a Rules channel in Discord?
To create a rules channel in Discord, you need to create a new text channel called “Rules”.
Next, set the channel to read-only by navigating to “Advanced permissions”.
Under “Advanced permissions”, cross out the “Send Messages” permission.
By doing this, only you will be able to send messages in the channel.
Lastly, you need to copy and paste a list of rules in the chat.
You can learn more about adding rules to your Discord server here: https://www.followchain.org/discord-server-rules/.
How do you force people to read the rules in Discord?
To force people to read the rules in Discord, you need to enable the community feature for your server.
After that, you need to set up “Membership Screening” and add server rules.
By doing this, new users who join your server must agree to the rules before they can chat.
Otherwise, they won’t be able to talk, react, or message other members on your server.
Good Discord server rules
Here is a list of good Discord server rules to copy and paste:
- Be respectful, civil, and welcoming.
- No inappropriate or unsafe content.
- Do not misuse or spam any of the channels.
- No self-promotion, soliciting, or advertising.
- NSFW content is not allowed.
- Do not buy, sell, trade, or give away anything.
- Do not use the server as a dating site.
- Please communicate in English only.
- Discord names and avatars must be appropriate.
- Spamming in any form is not allowed.
- Controversial topics like religion and politics are not allowed.
- Do not attempt to bypass any blocked words.
- Don’t ping without legitimate reasoning behind them.
- Alternate accounts are not allowed.
- Catfishing and any sort of fake identity are forbidden.
- Do not send any Discord server invite links or codes.
- No advertising is allowed without permission.
- Roleplaying is not allowed.
- Raiding is not allowed.
- Anything to target specific groups or individuals is prohibited.
- Spoilers from any anime, movie, TV show, or game are not allowed.
- Please do not mic spam.
- Don’t record voice channel conversations.
- Avoid topics regarding banned members.
- Remain on topic and use the channels correctly.
- Do not discuss hacking or cheating.
- Do not link to scam websites.
- If you’re going to include a spoiler, you need to use spoiler tags.
- Listen to the server’s staff.
- Use the appropriate channels.
- Trading, selling, begging, boosting, and account sharing are not allowed.
- Do not talk about adult or non-PG topics.
- Discriminatory language and hate speech is forbidden.
- Be respectful and welcoming as toxicity is not allowed.
- Do not spam messages or emotes.
- XP-Grinding is prohibited.
- Be civil, and do not treat messaging channels like a stream chat.
- Do not ping staff members for no reason.
- Do not mass mention by pinging more than 4 people at once, or randomly ping members.
- Encouraging rule-breaking is an offense.
- Do not flood the chat with huge chunks of text.
- Engaging in message chains is prohibited.
- Do not send copypastas.
- Avoid using Discord Stickers excessively.
- Do not use more than 5 emotes in a message.
- Do not send Discord server invites on the server or in DMs.
- Do not send online meeting links.
- Illegally distributing unlicensed material is prohibited.
- You are not allowed to sell anything here.
- Do not impersonate others, including public figures.
- Inappropriate profile pictures, usernames, statuses, or blank names are not allowed.
- Do not make your nickname “everyone”.
- Do not copy or claim other people’s art.
- Obnoxious, excessive, or inappropriate sounds are not allowed.
- Using voice changers and soundboards is not allowed.
- Only stream PG content.
- Do not loop or queue the same song with music bots.
- If there is a group of members silently listening to music, mute yourself or move to an alternative channel.
- Do not play music or other audio from your microphone.
- Do not stream movies or other copyrighted content.
- Do not send any malicious and harmful links or files, or anything that jeopardizes the security of others.
- Leaking the personal information of others is prohibited.
- Coordinating or participating in a server raid is forbidden.
- Bullying and harassment are not tolerated.
- Do not send strobe-effects, medically-triggering, or severely flashing media.
- Please refrain from back-seat moderating.
- Do not harass anyone.
- Do not engage in hate speech of any kind.
- Do not threaten anyone.
- Do not post unsafe items (malicious websites, pirated software, etc).
- Do not post any link or file that crashes Discord.
- Do not DDoS or threaten to DDoS other users.
- You need to be at least 13 years old to use Discord.
- Try to avoid bringing up controversial or sensitive topics.
- Community members should strive for a certain level of quality in their messages.
- Spoilers should be labeled appropriately using Discord’s built-in formatting, sufficiently disclosing what topic is being covered.
- Do not post, request, or disclose piracy information, links, or intent.
- Please limit and be reasonable with the promotion of content.
- All content and messages on this server are to be in English, with the exception of common words or phrases at staff discretion.
- Community members are free to express themselves openly and give constructive criticism and feedback.
- Regardless of age, strive to treat each other as we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Please do not contact server members unsolicited.
- Please follow the Discord terms of service.
- Remain civil and considerate towards other users.
- Follow all staff instructions immediately and at all times.
- No hate speech or trolling.
- Do not request, discuss, conduct, or advertise real money trades.
- Any form of harassment such as blackmailing, doxxing, or inappropriate DMs, will result in an immediate and permanent ban.
- Any sort of discrimination will not be tolerated.
- No advertising Discord servers, other programs, websites, or services.
- Creating sub-servers with the intent of moving our members with the goal of self-benefit is not allowed.
- Forming raids, targeting this server or another server will lead to a permanent ban.
- Do not bully or harass another member in any way, shape, or form.
- Any harmful material will result in a permanent ban.
- Do not share personal information.
- We promote diversity and inclusivity and expect your interactions in this channel to be respectful and guided by these principles.
- We encourage free expression for all, and embrace our differences, opinions, and diverse backgrounds, therefore, debates are welcome while they are based on these ideas.
- These rules may change at any time and the moderators reserve the right to warn and ban users discretionally.
- Don’t be toxic or mean, including bashing people’s posts unprovoked.
- If you’re sharing a link, please include a description (unless the nature of the link is obvious).
- Do not impersonate developers, moderators, or other users.
- Be kind and respectful to others.
- The most important rule of all is to have fun!
Adding rules to your Discord server is essential because of a number of reasons.
It encourages positive engagement among members and discourages spamming, trolling, and disruptive behavior.
Server owners should aim to promote civility to help create an engaging and positive community.
Rules serve as a guide for new members to inform them about the expectations of the server.
They can also address topics like language, media sharing, or channel etiquette.
This ensures that the server remains a safe and enjoyable space for everyone.