Every Minecraft server needs to have a list of rules to establish its culture.
By adding rules to your server, it informs members on what they are not allowed to do.
If you don’t add rules to your server, members can do whatever they want.
Without rules, members can grief, scam other players, or advertise other servers.
Consequently, new players who join your server might end up leaving.
This will decrease your server’s retention rate.
However, rules can be hard to come up with because they might not be at the top of your head.
This article contains a list of good Minecraft server rules, templates, and ideas for SMP, survival, and faction servers.
- What is a Minecraft server with no rules called?
- How do I add rules to a Minecraft server?
- Good Minecraft server rules
What is a Minecraft server with no rules called?
A Minecraft server with no rules is called a Minecraft Anarchy server.
A Minecraft Anarchy server has little to no rules, and banning is non-existent.
Players can grief and use hacks without getting banned.
Anarchy servers are usually described as inhospitable or nihilistic.
However, many players enjoy them because they have no rules.
Cursing, threats, and obscene content are also common in Anarchy servers.
The spawn of these servers is usually destroyed, so you need to travel a long distance away from it to build.
How do I add rules to a Minecraft server?
You can add rules to your Minecraft server by installing the “Essentials” plugin.
In the “Essentials” plugin folder, navigate to the “rules.txt” file.
In the “rules.txt” file, you’ll be able to add rules to it.
The “Essentials” plugin comes with a “/rule” command that players can use.
When someone uses the “/rule” command, they’ll see the list of your server’s rules.
You can also add a “server rules room” near your Minecraft server spawn.
In a “server rules room”, you can add rules by using signs.
Good Minecraft server rules
- All players must have appropriate usernames that are not offensive.
- Your Minecraft skin must be appropriate for our community and are not offensive.
- Griefing is strictly prohibited and will result in a permanent ban.
- Going into another player’s base without permission is trespassing.
- Do not kill pets, animals, or any name-tagged mob of another player.
- Do not ask for free stuff or beg for items.
- Do not hack or cheat to gain an advantage that would not normally be available in regular gameplay.
- Do not build any type of farm with the purpose to overwhelm or cause a negative impact on the server.
- Modifications that control your player or automate actions are prohibited.
- If you disagree with another player or are uncomfortable with their messages, please notify a staff member.
- Please use English in public chat.
- Speaking other languages in the global chat except English is not allowed.
- Harassing staff members or other players is not allowed.
- Impersonating staff members or other players is not allowed.
- Trading of any items for real-life money or form of currency is prohibited.
- Advertising of other servers in public and private chat is prohibited.
- Never share your account’s information with anyone.
- Use inappropriate language or creating inappropriate content is not allowed.
- Malicious threats of any kind towards other players are not permitted.
- Do not send any personal information without the owner’s consent.
- Do not attempt to use our server for the purpose of scamming other players.
- Any threat or attempt to DOX/DDoS/SWAT another player or server will result in a permanent ban.
- Do not send any link that is deemed inappropriate or malicious.
- Do not send the same message in quick succession in public chat.
- If you encounter any disrespectful players, please report them to a staff member.
- If you are not sure if something is against the rules, please ask a staff member.
- Profanity, racism, and discrimination are prohibited in public chat.
- Do not send spoilers in public chat.
- Any link that is deemed inappropriate or malicious is not allowed.
- Keep the chat civil and appropriate for everyone.
- Saying something to confuse or mislead other players is not allowed.
- Do not talk or joke about inappropriate subjects.
- Being rude or arguing with other players in a hostile manner is not allowed.
- Bypassing filtered words is prohibited.
- Continued unwanted behavior towards a player is not permitted.
- Being excessively rude or abusive towards another player is not allowed.
- Do not make any type of serious threat towards another player.
- Inappropriate builds are not allowed.
- Abusing a bug or a glitch in the server to gain an unfair advantage is prohibited.
- Using an alternate account to bypass a ban is not allowed.
- Do not use any form of automated programs or scripts.
- You are not allowed to advertise anything that is not related to the server.
- Lying to staff members is not allowed.
- You are not allowed to open a dispute on a store purchase or donation.
- Do not spam commands that negatively affect other players.
- Do not use items that are not typically obtainable in-game on any other server.
- You cannot use alternate accounts to spam chat, commands, or other communication methods.
- Doing anything considered to be illegal is not allowed on the server.
- Do not send links to any other Discord server in public chat.
- Discussing anything inappropriate in public chat is not allowed.
- Please replant trees whenever you destroy them.
- Crafting or using TNT in the server is not allowed.
- Stealing other player’s items is not allowed.
- Teleport trapping is prohibited.
- Cobble monstering to create large structures are not allowed.
- All clicks must be done manually (on a mouse) without rebinding.
- You are not allowed to share account information in chat.
- If you want to speak in a language other than English, please use private messaging.
- Do not repeatedly ask or beg for mod status.
- Do not encourage other players to break rules.
- If you notice any player violating a rule, please report it to a staff member.
- Do not spam teleport requests.
- Excessive Caps Lock in the chat is not allowed.
- Do not criticize the server or any players.
- Please build 100 blocks away from another player’s build.
- Do not place unwanted lava or water around the map.
- ot keep asking or begging for items or weapons.
- The use of stolen or hacked accounts is not permitted.
- Do not use any derogatory terms on the server.
- Any form of hate speech is prohibited.
- Be polite and show respect to each other.
- Drama, politics, and religion in the chat are prohibited.
- Do not use any fancy or glitchy characters in chat.
- Do not argue or harass staff members.
- Please keep the chat friendly for all ages.
- Do not loot another player’s death location.
- Do not modify other players’ builds without their consent.
- After you’ve harvested the crops of a farm, please replant them.
Adding rules to your Minecraft server is important because of a couple of reasons.
Firstly, rules will help to maintain peace and stability in your server.
If you have an SMP server, it’s important to set a “No-grief” rule.
This is to prevent members from destroying others’ builds.
Secondly, rules will increase your server’s retention rate.
Players are more likely to keep playing in a server that is governed well.
In addition, if someone breaks a rule, you or your staff members have the right to punish them.
The most common punishments include a temporary ban and a permanent ban.
How to Fix “Multiplayer is disabled” in Minecraft
How to Fix Lag in Minecraft Pocket Edition (PE)