Instagram allows you to share posts, stories, and Reels with your friends.
You can do so by copying the link of the photo or video and sending it to your friend.
Previously, you can copy the link of an Instagram Reel by tapping on the three dots.
After you’ve tapped on the three dots, you’ll be given multiple options like “Share”, “Link”, and “Save”.
If you select “Link”, the link of the Reel will be copied to your clipboard.
However, some users reported that the link option is missing from the menu.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the Instagram copy link option not showing or not working for Reels, posts, or stories.
- Why is the copy link option missing from Instagram?
- How to fix Instagram copy link option not showing
Why is the copy link option missing from Instagram?
The copy link option is missing from Instagram Reels, posts, and stories because Instagram moved it.
The option has been moved from the three dots to the share icon.
Above the three dots, you’ll see a paper plane icon—this is the icon that you need to select.
Previously, you can copy the link to a Reel, post, or story by tapping on the three dots followed by “Link”.
Now, if you tap on the three dots, you’ll only see the “Save” option.
How to fix Instagram copy link option not showing
To fix the Instagram copy link option not showing, you need to tap on the share icon instead of the three dots.
After you’ve tapped on the share icon, tap on “Copy Link” to copy the URL of the Reel, post, or story.
The share icon is a paper plane icon above the three dots.
Alternatively, you can download an older version of Instagram if you want the copy link option to return to its original location.
Other troubleshooting methods that you can try include updating Instagram and clearing the app’s cache.
Fix 1: Tap on the share icon
- Navigate to the Instagram Reel, post, or story that you want to share.
- Tap on the share icon (paper plane icon).
- Tap on “Copy Link” to copy its link.
Note: Instagram has moved the “Copy Link” option from the three dots icon to the share icon.
Fix 2: Download an older version of Instagram
- Delete the Instagram app from your Android device.
- Go to https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android.
- Select “Older versions” and install an older version of Instagram.
- Open Instagram and the “Copy Link” option will be returned to its original location (the three dots menu).
Note: This method only works for Android devices.
Fix 3: Other troubleshooting methods
If the “Copy Link” option is still not showing up, try these troubleshooting methods:
- Force exit and reopen: Swipe up from the bottom of your screen, navigate to the Instagram card, and swipe up.
- Log out and log in: Open the Instagram app > Profile > Menu > Settings > Log out > Log back in.
- Uninstall and reinstall: Tap and hold the Instagram app, delete it, and reinstall it from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Wait it out: If Instagram is down, you need to wait for 24 hours or more for the server-side issue(s) to be fixed and for the copy link option to show up again.
- Clear Instagram’s cache: Force exit Instagram > open the Settings app > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache > Clear Data > re-open Instagram.
- Update Instagram: Open the App Store/Google Play Store, search for “Instagram”, and select “Update”.
How to Fix Instagram Double Tap Not Working
Does Instagram Notify When You Screenshot a Highlight?