Is Chat GPT showing this error message, “This phone number is already linked to the maximum number of accounts”?
ChatGPT is an AI made by OpenAI that communicates in a human-like manner.
It’s able to answer follow-up questions, deny inappropriate requests, and make assumptions.
The company develops and promotes advanced AI technology.
The goal of OpenAI is to create safe AI that helps humanity and to advance AI research.
It was founded by Elon Musk and Sam Altman in 2015 in San Francisco, California.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix “This phone number is already linked to the maximum number of accounts” on ChatGPT.
- What does “This phone number is already linked” mean on Chat GPT?
- How to Fix “This phone number is already linked” on ChatGPT
- What is the maximum number of ChatGPT accounts you can link with a phone number?
What does “This phone number is already linked” mean on Chat GPT?
“This phone number is already linked” on Chat GPT means that the phone number is already linked to more than two OpenAI accounts.
A phone number can only be linked to a maximum of two OpenAI accounts.
If you’ve already linked your phone number to two accounts, you cannot link it to a third one.
This is because ChatGPT restricts the ability to link a phone number more than twice.
The error message most likely occurs if you’re using a temporary phone number to link your account.
How to Fix “This phone number is already linked” on ChatGPT
To fix “This phone number is already linked” on ChatGPT, you need to use another phone number.
You can also try using a temporary phone number online that haven’t been used before.
If you didn’t link your phone number before but you’re getting the error, you need to contact OpenAI support for help.
They will provide specific information about the problem and help you to fix it.
Fix 1: Use another phone number
- If you have a second phone number, you can use it to link to your ChatGPT account.
- You can also use a friend’s or family member’s phone number.
Fix 2: Use a temporary phone number
- You can get a temporary phone number from anonymsms.com (free), sms-activation-service.com (free), smsnator.online (free), receive-sms.cc (free), or temp-number.org (paid).
- Copy a number from one of the sites above and try sending a code to it (keep trying until you find a number that’s not linked to ChatGPT yet).
- Enter the code that’s sent to the temporary phone number to start using ChatGPT!
Fix 3: Contact OpenAI support
- Go to https://help.openai.com/.
- Click on the chat bubble on the bottom right.
- Messages > Send us a message.
- Login or Sign up Issues > No.
- Enter your email address and write your message.
What is the maximum number of ChatGPT accounts you can link with a phone number?
The maximum number of ChatGPT accounts you can link with a phone number is 2 accounts.
According to OpenAI, you can use your phone number to verify no more than 2 OpenAI accounts.
Only the first API account that is verified will be given free trial tokens.
Do note that ChatGPT is not supported in some countries like Russia or Hong Kong.
If you’re trying to sign up in those countries, you won’t be able to verify your phone number.
How to Fix 403 Forbidden on ChatGPT
How to Fix ChatGPT Error Code 1020 Access Denied