Is Discord or BetterDiscord crashing whenever you open it?
Does the “Well this is Awkward” error pop up when you open your settings?
The error message happens when you’re using Discord or BetterDiscord on a computer.
It can happen after you’ve updated Discord.
It can also happen because you’ve updated BetterDiscord or its plugins.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the “Well this is Awkward” error on Discord or BetterDiscord when it’s crashing.
Why does Discord say this is awkward?
Discord says “Well, this is awkward” because an error has caused the app to crash.
The error can be due to the latest Discord update.
Similarly, if you’re using BetterDiscord, the error message can happen because you’ve recently updated it.
It can also happen because you’ve added a new plugin to BetterDiscord or updated an existing one.
This is because some plugins may be incompatible with BetterDiscord.
A couple of common plugins that cause it to crash are “0BDFBD” and “ZeresPluginLibrary”.
When Discord crashes, you’ll only be given the option to reload it.
However, this can cause a crashing loop and Discord will never start.
How to fix “Well this is Awkward” on Discord
To fix “Well this is Awkward” on Discord, you need to completely uninstall and reinstall Discord.
This will replace corrupted files that are related to Discord.
You can also try downloading Discord from the Microsoft Store.
If you don’t have BetterDiscord, try downloading and using it.
If you already have BetterDiscord, try deleting some or all of its plugins.
Fix 1: Completely uninstall and reinstall Discord
- Open the Task Manager (CTRL + ALT+ DEL) > Processes > Discord > End Task.
- Search for “%temp%” using Windows Search > delete all of the files/folders inside it.
- Search for “%appdata%” using Windows Search > right-click Discord and delete it.
- Search for “%localappdata% using Windows Search > right-click Discord and delete it.
- Go to https://discord.com/, download Discord, and open it.
Fix 2: Download Discord from the Microsoft Store
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Search for “Discord”.
- Click on the “Install” button.
- Open Discord.
Fix 3: Download BetterDiscord
Note: Skip this method if you already have BetterDiscord.
- Go to https://betterdiscord.app/.
- Click on the download button and run the installer.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Select “Install BetterDiscord”.
- Select “Discord” followed by “Install”.
- Open BetterDiscord.
Fix 4: Delete BetterDiscord’s plugins (if you’re using BetterDiscord)
- Search for “%appdata%” using Windows Search > open “betterdiscord” > open “plugins”.
- Delete unwanted/corrupted/outdated plugins (e.g., 0BDFBD, ZeresPluginLibrary).
- Go to https://betterdiscord.app/ > download > run the installer.
- Accept the license agreement > Repair BetterDiscord > Discord > Repair > Yes > Ok.
- Open the Task Manager (CTRL + ALT+ DEL) > Processes > Discord > End Task > Open Discord.