Are you getting a “You do not have access to chat.openai.com” error in ChatGPT?
Here’s the second part of the error, “The site owner may have set restrictions that prevent you from accessing the site”.
If so, ChatGPT might be restricted or not supported in your country.
Otherwise, the network administrator might have set a firewall that prevents access to the service.
Here’s an example of the error’s format:
- Ray ID: 7b285a1369bfaf48
- Timestamp: 2023-04-04 09:00:50 UTC
- Your IP address: 18.104.22.168
- Requested URL: chat.openai.com
- Error reference number: 1020
- Server ID: FL_444F333
- User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/22.214.171.124 Safari/537.36
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the Access Denied error, “You do not have access to chat.openai.com” in ChatGPT.
Why don’t I have access to chat.openai.com?
You don’t have access to chat.openai.com because ChatGPT is restricted or not available in your country.
ChatGPT is banned in certain countries like Italy, Russia, Iran, China, Syria, North Korea, and Cuba.
The service is also not supported in multiple countries in Africa.
If you’re not living in these countries but you still can’t access the website, it means that the network administrator has restricted it.
In other words, the admin might have set restrictions/firewalls to the service or blacklisted the OpenAI domain.
How to fix You Do Not Have Access to chat.openai.com
To fix “You do not have access to chat.openai.com”, you can try connecting to a VPN or disconnecting from it.
You can also try to delete the cache in your browser, disable the Firewall or restrictions for ChatGPT, or contact OpenAI for assistance.
Fix 1: Connect to a VPN or disconnect your VPN
If you’re not using a VPN:
- Mobile devices: Open the App Store or Google Play Store and download a free VPN app like VPN – Proxy Unlimited Shield and connect to a VPN where ChatGPT is not restricted (e.g. Canada).
- PC: Download a free VPN like Proton VPN and connect to a VPN where ChatGPT is not restricted (e.g. Canada).
If you’re using a VPN:
- Some users reported that they are unable to access chat.openai.com by connecting to a VPN.
- If you’re connected to a VPN, try disconnecting it before accessing chat.openai.com.
Fix 2: Delete the cache in your browser
- Google Chrome: Chrome > Three Dots > More Tools > Clear browsing data > Cookies and other site data / Cached images and files > Clear data.
- Microsoft Edge: Edge > Three Dots > Settings > Privacy & services > Choose what to clear > Cached images and files / Cookies and other site data > Clear.
- Mozilla Firefox: Firebox > Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Clear.
Fix 3: Disable the Firewall or restrictions for ChatGPT
- Request access to ChatGPT: If ChatGPT is restricted by your organization, request the IT department to give you access to ChatGPT.
- Whitelist ChatGPT: If you have administrative control on your device/network, whitelist ChatGPT in your Firewall/restrictions.
- Temporarily disable your Firewall: Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off > Turn off Windows Defender Firewall > OK.
Fix 4: Contact OpenAI support
- Go to https://help.openai.com/.
- Click on the chat icon.
- Choose “Search for help” and then click on “Send us a message”.
- Select the relevant topic(s).
- Provide a detailed description of your problem and send the message.
- Wait for a response from the support team.