Are you getting a “History is temporarily unavailable” error in ChatGPT?
Here’s the second part of the error, “We’re working to restore this feature as soon as possible”.
If so, you won’t be able to access your past conversations on the website.
ChatGPT can be used for answering questions, writing essays, fixing code, and more.
However, some users may encounter errors with the chatbot if it’s overloaded.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix “History is temporarily unavailable” in ChatGPT and restore your previous conversations.
Why is my ChatGPT history unavailable?
Your ChatGPT history is unavailable most likely because there’s an outage on chat.openai.com.
Otherwise, the service is currently ongoing maintenance and you need to wait for it to be completed.
If there is an outage, your conversation history will be temporarily unavailable.
You can check the status of ChatGPT by visiting https://status.openai.com/.
On the status page, check if all systems are operational.
How to fix “History is temporarily unavailable” in ChatGPT
To fix “History is temporarily unavailable” in ChatGPT, you can try clearing your browser’s cache or restoring your previous conversations from your browsing history.
If there’s an outage or ongoing maintenance, you need to wait until your conversation history is restored.
If all else fails, you can contact ChatGPT support for assistance.
Fix 1: Clear your browser’s cache
- Google Chrome: Chrome > Three Dots > More Tools > Clear browsing data > Cookies and other site data / Cached images and files > Clear data.
- Microsoft Edge: Edge > Three Dots > Settings > Privacy & services > Choose what to clear > Cached images and files / Cookies and other site data > Clear.
- Mozilla Firefox: Firebox > Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Clear.
Fix 2: Restore ChatGPT from your browsing history
- On Chrome, click on the three dots on the extreme right of the URL field.
- Select “History” followed by “History” again.
- Search for “chat.openai.com” using the search bar.
- Open one or more of your previous chats (e.g. https://chat.openai.com/chat_xx_xxx_xx).
Fix 3: Wait until your conversation history is restored
- If there’s ongoing maintenance, you need to wait for a few hours before accessing chat.openai.com again.
- Similarly, if ChatGPT is down, you need to wait for a few hours for your conversation history to be restored.
- In the meantime, you can monitor the status of ChatGPT here: https://status.openai.com/.
Fix 4: Contact OpenAI support
- Go to https://help.openai.com/.
- Click on the chat icon.
- Select “Search for help” followed by “Send us a message”.
- Select the appropriate topics.
- Describe your issue, send the message, and wait for a response.