Are you unable to open messages on Messenger?
Does opening messages crash the app or open a blank/white screen?
Messenger allows you to start group video calls, voice calls, and text messaging.
You can connect with your Instagram followers from Messenger and search for them by their name or username.
Change your privacy settings to choose who can reach you or where your messages are sent to.
Customize your reactions with a wide range of emojis.
Choose from multiple chat themes like “Tie-Dye” or “Love” to personalize the app.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix can’t open messages on Messenger (e.g., blank screen, chat not opening).
Why can’t I open messages on Messenger?
You can’t open messages on Messenger because the app is outdated or the servers are down.
If you’ve recently updated your device (e.g. to the latest iOS version), it might be incompatible with Messenger.
Some Messenger updates contain bugs and glitches that need to be fixed in the next update.
To check if Messenger is down, you need to go to downdetector.com/status/facebook-messenger/.
If there’s a spike in the number of reports, it means that the app is most likely down.
You can also search for the issue that you’re experiencing on Twitter or Reddit.
How to fix can’t open messages on Messenger
To fix can’t open messages on Messenger, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the app or updating it.
Otherwise, you need to use Messenger on a PC instead (messenger.com or facebook.com).
If the servers are down, you need to wait for 24 to 48 hours for them to be fixed.
Fix 1: Uninstall and reinstall Messenger
- Tap and hold the Messenger app and delete it.
- Open the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Search for Messenger and reinstall it.
- Open Messenger and log in to your Facebook account.
- Try opening your messages (it should be fixed now).
Note: Reinstalling Messenger will log you out of all accounts (so you’ll have to log in again), but all of your chats will be saved as they are stored in Facebook’s database.
Fix 2: Update Messenger
- If you’ve recently updated your device (e.g. to the latest iOS version), it might not be compatible with Messenger.
- In other cases, some Messenger updates contain bugs and glitches.
- If you haven’t updated Messenger to the latest version, you need to do so on the App Store or Google Play Store.
- If you’ve already updated the app to the latest version, you need to wait for a new update.
Fix 3: Use Messenger on a PC instead
- Use Messenger directly on your browser on messenger.com and continue using your Facebook account.
- OR download the Messenger desktop app, launch it, and log in to your Facebook account.
- OR access your Messenger messages on facebook.com by selecting the Messenger icon.
Note: If you can’t open messages on the Messenger mobile app, you can try accessing them on messenger.com, the desktop app, or facebook.com instead.
Fix 4: Try these troubleshooting methods
- Force close the Messenger app and reopen it.
- Enable mobile data for Messenger (for iOS, go to Settings > Mobile Data > Messenger > Enable).
- Turn on Airplane mode and turn it off.
- Use Wi-Fi instead of mobile data (and vice-versa).
- If you’re using a VPN, turn it off.
Fix 5: Wait for the Messenger servers to be fixed
- Check if Messenger is down on downdetector.com/status/facebook-messenger/.
- You can also browse Twitter or Reddit to see if there are people experiencing the same issue as you.
- If Messenger is down, you need to wait for 24 to 48 hours for the servers to be fixed.