To fix the disconnected from Steam error in Modern Warfare 2, you need to run the game as an administrator can and verify the game files.
You can also try allowing the game in your antivirus and disabling overlays/conflicting programs.
If you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network, try using an Ethernet cable instead (for PCs).
Modern Warfare 2 features an unparalleled worldwide conflict that returns the Task Force 141 Operators.
There are highly classified missions, infiltration tactical ops, and more.
Infinity Ward provides state-of-the-art gameplay with revamped gun handling, an advanced AI system, a new Gunsmith, and many other graphical innovations.
MW2 has multiple modes like a single-player campaign, multiplayer combat, and a co-op story special Ops experience.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the disconnected from Steam error in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (MW2).
- Fix 1: Disable texture streaming
- Fix 2: Run the game as an administrator
- Fix 3: Repair/verify the game files
- Fix 4: Allow Modern Warfare 2 in your antivirus
- Fix 5: Disable overlays/conflicting programs
Fix 1: Disable texture streaming
- Open MW2 > Settings > Graphics.
- Turn off “On-Demand Texture Streaming”.
Reason: On-Demand Texture Streaming will overload your bandwidth especially if you’re connected to Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet, so disabling it is highly recommended.
Fix 2: Run the game as an administrator
- Go to your Steam library.
- Right-click MW2 > Manage > Browse local files.
- Right-click cod.exe > Properties > Compatibility.
- Enable “Run this program as an administrator”.
- Apply > OK > Launch MW2.
Fix 3: Repair/verify the game files
- Navigate to your Steam library.
- Right-click Modern Warfare 2 > Properties > Local Files.
- Click on “Verify integrity of game files”.
- Launch Modern Warfare 2.
- Navigate to your Battle.net library.
- Select “Modern Warfare 2”.
- Click on the settings icon.
- Click on Scan and Repair > Begin Scan.
- Launch Modern Warfare 2.
Fix 4: Allow Modern Warfare 2 in your antivirus
- Open the Windows settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage ransomware protection > Allow an app through Controlled folder access > Add an allowed app > Browse all apps > select the Modern Warfare 2 app > Open > Add the rest of the .exe apps.
- Open the Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall > Change settings > Allow another app… > Browse… > select the Modern Warfare 2 app > Add > Add the rest of the .exe apps.
- Turn off Real-time protection: Open the Windows settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Real-time protection > Off.
Fix 5: Disable overlays/conflicting programs
- Go to your Steam library > right-click Modern Warfare 2 > Properties > Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game > Disable.
- Open Steam > Steam > Settings > Downloads > Clear Download Cache.
- Unplug the Logitech or Thrustmaster racing wheel.
- End the task for the MSI Dragon Center or Razer Synapse.
- Close all of your tabs to free up RAM and relaunch the game.
Best Graphics Settings for Modern Warfare 2
Best Audio Settings in Modern Warfare 2