Is Overwatch 2 lagging, stuttering, or having FPS drops?
Are you having lag spikes while playing the game?
Overwatch 2 was released as a free-to-play game and surged in popularity.
Since its release, the game has had multiple known issues.
Some of the known issues are server disconnection, cosmetics, items, currency not showing up, and others.
In this guide, you’ll learn why you’re lagging in Overwatch 2 and how to fix stuttering and FPS drops.
Why is Overwatch 2 lagging or stuttering?
Overwatch 2 is lagging or stuttering either your graphics card is outdated or your video/graphics settings are too high.
An outdated graphics card cannot support the game while high video settings will decrease the game’s performance.
Many users are complaining that Overwatch 2 is lagging on Twitter and on the Blizzard forums.
“Anyone else having problems with extreme lag in Overwatch 2? I waited hours to get in #Overwatch2”.
“Anyone experiencing crazy lag when the whole enemy team is around in Overwatch 2? Literally everyone is spasming out through the map”.
How to fix lag in Overwatch 2
To fix the lag in Overwatch 2, you need to update your graphics card, close all of your tabs, and delete temporary files.
In addition, you need to lower the game’s video and graphics settings to increase its performance.
If you’re using a PC, you can also try using an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi to speed up the game and mitigate connectivity issues.
If you’re still experiencing lag, try changing your region in Battle.net (e.g. from the Americas to Asia) and relaunch the game.
Fix 1: Update your graphics card
- For Nvidia: Go to https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/download/ > Download Now > open the app > sign up or log in > Drivers > Download.
- For AMD: Go to https://www.amd.com/en/support > Download > open the app > follow the on-screen instructions to update your GPU.
Fix 2: Lower the video settings
- Vsync: Off
- Triple buffering: Off
- Reduce buffering: On
- Nvidia Reflex: Enabled
Fix 3: Lower the graphics settings
- Graphics quality: Low
- Texture quality: Low
- Texture filtering quality: Low – 1x
- Local fog detail: Low
- Dynamic reflections: Off
- Shadow detail: Off
- Model detail: Low
- Effects detail: Low
- Lighting quality: Low
- Anitalias quality: Low – FXAA
- Refraction quality: Low
- Screenshot quality: 1x Resolution
- Ambient occlusion: Off
- Local reflections: Off
- Damage FX: Default
Fix 4: Close all of your tabs
- Close all of your current tabs before launching the game (e.g. Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox).
- If you have too many tabs or background processes running, your PC’s RAM might be overloaded which can cause Overwatch 2 to lag or stutter.
Fix 5: Delete temporary files
- Search for %temp% using the Windows search bar.
- Press CTRL + A on your keyboard.
- Right-click a file.
- Select “Delete”.
- Select “Yes”.