Is the Reels video save option not showing on Instagram?
The option is supposed to appear when you add the Reel to your story.
There should be a “three dots” icon, and when you select it, there should be a “Save” option.
However, many users reported that the “three dots” icon is missing.
Instead, the icon is replaced by a “draw” option.
In this guide, you’ll learn why is the Instagram Reels video save option not showing, not working, or missing, and how to fix it.
Why can’t I save Instagram Reels?
You can’t save Instagram Reels because of a bug on the app.
Some accounts have the “Save” option while other accounts don’t.
I’ve personally tested this and it’s only working on one of my accounts.
The other three of my Instagram accounts do not have access to the feature.
Many users are reporting about the missing Reels save option.
“You have some bugs with Reels. There is no option to save them anymore. Also, my account has been de-monetized for a while now & I’ve done everthing you’ve asked but I can’t get it reviewed. I realize that this is a shot in the dark but is anybody out there in #meta? Can you help?”.
“Instagram has the audacity to be try to be like TikTok but it’s too busy isolating half their user base and they can’t even include an option to save Reels”.
How to fix Reels video save option not showing on Instagram
To fix Reels video save option not showing on Instagram, you can either use an Instagram Reels downloader or download an older version of Instagram.
You can also try switching accounts, create a new accounts, or update Instagram to the latest version.
You can also use your phone’s screen recorder to record the video and crop it afterward.
Fix 1: Use an Instagram Reels downloader
- Open Instagram and copy the URL of the Reel (Watch the Reel > three dots > Link).
- Use an Instagram Reels downloader like SSSInstagram.
- Paste the URL of the Reel on the text box and select “Download”.
- Select “Download .mp4”.
- Select “Download” and view your downloads.
- Tap on the Reel when it’s finished downloading.
- Select the “Save” icon followed by “Save Video”.
This is the best workaround to save Instagram Reels without the save option.
Fix 2: Download an older version of Instagram
- Go to https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android/versions.
- Download an older version of Instagram.
- Open the older version of Instagram and check if the save option is available to you (if not, download an even older version of the app).
Note: This method only works for Android devices. If you’re using an iOS device, you cannot use it.
Fix 3: Switch accounts
- If you have more than one Instagram account, you can try switching to your other accounts and see if you have the option to save Reels.
- Your other account(s) might have the option to save Reels.
- You can also create a new Instagram account if you only have one account.
If all else fails, you need to wait for Instagram to fix the save option bug for Reels.
That said, Instagram’s goal is to mitigate cross-posting of Reels, so they might have intentionally disabled the save option for some users.
This is the reason why some accounts have the option to save Reels while others don’t.
Although this is pure speculation, it’s not surprising if it’s true because platforms like TikTok is beating Instagram in every aspect—which forces Meta to take a defensive stance.