Roblox released a face tracking/camera feature with safety and civility as its core values.
The feature allows users aged 13 and above to animate their avatars using their device camera’s movement.
It aims to enhance social interactions and provide a more immersive experience.
Developers can enable this camera input for their experiences to drive deeper engagement with users.
Users’ consent is required to access the device camera, and Roblox assures that no recorded information is stored.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the Roblox face tracking not working or showing up (face camera/microphone).
Why is the Roblox face tracking not working?
The most common reason why the Roblox face tracking feature is not working or showing is because you are under 13 years old.
You need to be at least 13 years old to access the feature, and you can verify your age in your settings.
Here are 6 reasons why the feature is not working:
- You need to be 13 years old and above to use the face tracking feature (you can do this by verifying your age in your settings).
- Your monitor does not have a camera.
- You don’t have a microphone.
- The experience that you joined haven’t enabled the feature.
- The feature isn’t rolled out to you yet.
- You didn’t allow Roblox to access your camera.
Source: Animate your Avatar with your movement (a developer forum post by doble_vee, a Roblox staff).
How to fix Roblox face tracking not showing
To fix the Roblox face tracking not showing, you need to verify your age (13 years old and above) in your settings.
After you’ve verified your age, allow Roblox to access your camera and join an experience that has a camera-enabled communication.
Here’s how to do this (expand the screenshots above).
- Log in to your Roblox account and click on the settings icon.
- Select “Settings” and enter your birthday (you must be 13 years old and above).
- Select “Verify My Age” and follow the on-screen instructions to verify your age.
- Go back to your settings and select “Privacy”.
- Scroll down and enable “Use microphone to chat with voice” and “Use camera to animate your avatar with your movement”.
- Join a Roblox experience that supports both Microphone and Camera communication.
- Inside the experience, press “Esc” and select “Settings”.
- Click on the video icon and the emoji icon to enable the face tracking and camera feature.
Do note that you need to have a camera and a microphone to access the face tracking feature.
If your monitor or laptop screen does not have a camera, you won’t be able to use the feature.