Are you getting a “Something went wrong, please try reloading the conversation” in ChatGPT?
The error occurs when you enter a prompt in chat.openai.com.
It suggests that the model is unable to process the input or generate a response.
This can be due to multiple factors, but it typically happens because the service is down.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix “Something went wrong, please try reloading the conversation” in ChatGPT.
- Why did something go wrong in ChatGPT?
- How to Fix “Something went wrong, please try reloading the conversation” in ChatGPT
Why did something go wrong in ChatGPT?
Something went wrong in ChatGPT means that there is an error or technical issue that prevents the model from processing the input or generating a response.
This can be caused by a temporary network issue, an issue with the browser/device, or a server-side error.
You can check if there’s a server-side error by visiting https://status.openai.com/.
If there is an outage, you need to wait for a few hours for the issue to be fixed by the OpenAI team.
How to Fix “Something went wrong, please try reloading the conversation” in ChatGPT
To fix “Something went wrong, please try reloading the conversation”, you can try connecting to a VPN or disconnecting from it.
You can also try to delete the cache in your browser or contact OpenAI for assistance.
Other troubleshooting methods include refreshing the page, using a different browser, logging out and logging in, or disabling your antivirus program.
Fix 1: Connect to a VPN / disconnect your VPN
If you’re not using a VPN:
- Mobile devices: Open the Google Play Store or App Store and install a free VPN app (e.g. VPN – Proxy Unlimited Shield) and connect to a VPN (e.g. Singapore).
- PC: Install a free VPN like Proton VPN and connect to a VPN (e.g. Singapore).
If you’re using a VPN:
- Some users reported that they cannot access ChatGPT by connecting to a VPN.
- If you’re connected to a VPN, you can try disconnecting from it before accessing ChatGPT.
Fix 2: Delete the cache in your browser
- Google Chrome: Chrome > Three Dots > More Tools > Clear browsing data > Cookies and other site data / Cached images and files > Clear data.
- Microsoft Edge: Edge > Three Dots > Settings > Privacy & services > Choose what to clear > Cached images and files / Cookies and other site data > Clear.
- Mozilla Firefox: Firebox > Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Clear.
Fix 3: Contact OpenAI support
- Go to https://help.openai.com/.
- Click on the chat icon.
- Choose “Search for help” and then click on “Send us a message”.
- Select the relevant topic(s).
- Provide a detailed description of your problem and send the message.
- Wait for a response from the support team.
Fix 4: Other troubleshooting methods
- Refresh the page: Press CTRL + F5 on your keyboard.
- Use a different browser: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Brave, etc.
- Log out and log in: Select “Log out” on the left sidebar and select “Log in”.
- Disable your antivirus program: Temporarily disable your antivirus program (e.g. Kaspersky Antivirus).