Are you getting a “Something went wrong with Instagram” error?
Here is the second part of the error, “Try updating this app after its developer provides a fix for this error”.
If you tap on “Got it” and reopen the app, the error will still persist.
It happens on Android devices like Samsung, Oppo, Huawei, and others.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix “Something went wrong with Instagram” on Android devices.
- What does “Something went wrong with Instagram” mean?
- How to fix “Something went wrong with Instagram”
What does “Something went wrong with Instagram” mean?
The error, “Something went wrong with Instagram” means that the app has a bug that’s most likely caused by the latest Instagram update.
In other words, there’s a programming error in the latest update that caused the app to crash.
If that’s the case, Instagram will release a follow-up update to fix it.
Hence, you need to periodically check for another Instagram update on the Google Play Store.
You can check if others are facing the same issue as you by going to downdetector.com/status/instagram.
You can also search for the issue that you’re experiencing on Twitter and check the latest/top tweets.
How to fix “Something went wrong with Instagram”
To fix “Something went wrong with Instagram”, try downloading Instagram Lite from the Google Play Store.
Alternatively, you can try downloading an older version of Instagram (APK) from a third-party website.
Otherwise, you need to wait until an update is released that fixes the crashes.
Fix 1: Download Instagram Lite
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Search for “Instagram Lite”.
- Download Instagram Lite.
- Open Instagram Lite.
- Log in to your Instagram account.
Fix 2: Download an older version of Instagram
- Delete the Instagram app from your device.
- Go to https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android.
- Select “Older versions” and install an older version of Instagram.
- Open Instagram and the “Something went wrong with Instagram” error should be fixed.
Fix 3: Other troubleshooting methods
If the “Instagram closed because this app has a bug” error is still not fixed, try these troubleshooting methods:
- Update Instagram: Open the App Store/Google Play Store, search for “Instagram”, and select “Update”.
- Force exit and reopen: Swipe up from the bottom of your screen, navigate to the Instagram card, and swipe up.
- Clear Instagram’s cache: Force exit Instagram > open the Settings app > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache > Clear Data > re-open Instagram.
- Log out and log in: Open the Instagram app > Profile > Menu > Settings > Log out > Log back in.
- Uninstall and reinstall: Tap and hold the Instagram app, delete it, and reinstall it from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Wait it out: If Instagram is down, you need to wait for a few hours for the server-side issue(s) to be fixed.
How to Fix “Instagram closed because this app has a bug”
How to Fix Instagram Failed to Start Several Times
How to Fix “Page isn’t available at the moment” on Instagram