Are you getting a “Video can’t be posted” error on Instagram?
Here’s the second part of the error, “We’re sorry, but there was a problem posting your video. Please try again”.
It can happen when you’re posting an Instagram Reel, video, or story.
In some cases, the error message might not go away and it’s stuck on the home page of the app.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the “Video can’t be posted” error on Instagram videos, stories, or Reels, and how to close/remove it.
- Why can’t I post a video on Instagram?
- How to fix “Video can’t be posted” on Instagram
- How to fix can’t remove “Video can’t be posted” on Instagram
Why can’t I post a video on Instagram?
You can’t post a video on Instagram because you don’t have an internet connection or your upload speed is too slow.
Otherwise, there’s a bug/glitch on the app, or the Instagram server is down.
Before you attempt to fix the error, you need to check if Instagram is down.
To do so, go to downdetector.com/status/instagram and check if there’s a spike in the graph.
You can also visit Twitter and search for “Instagram down” or the problem that you’re facing (e.g. can’t upload videos).
If you’ve recently updated Instagram and you can’t post videos, the latest update might have caused uploading issues.
If so, Instagram will release a follow-up update to fix it.
How to fix “Video can’t be posted” on Instagram
To fix “Video can’t be posted” on Instagram, you need to clear the app’s cache.
You can also try updating or uninstalling and reinstalling Instagram.
If all else fails, you can downgrade Instagram by downloading an older version of it (for Android devices only).
If Instagram is down, you need to wait for 24 to 48 hours for it to be back up.
Fix 1: Clear Instagram’s cache
- For Android: Open the Settings app > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache.
- For iOS: Open the Settings app > General > iPhone storage > Instagram > Offload App.
Note: Instead of clearing Instagram’s cache, you can uninstall and reinstall the app instead (its cache will be cleared and the app will be updated to the latest version.
Fix 2: Update Instagram
- Open the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Search for “Instagram”.
- Tap on “Update” to update Instagram.
Note: If there isn’t an update, you need to wait for one. If the latest update contains bugs, Instagram will release a follow-up update to fix them.
Fix 3: Download an older version of Instagram
- Go to https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android/versions.
- Download an older version of Instagram.
- Use the older version of Instagram and try uploading a video/Reel.
Note: This method only works for Android devices only.
How to fix can’t remove “Video can’t be posted” on Instagram
Some users reported that they are unable to remove or close the “Video can’t be posted” notification on Instagram.
This is due to a user interface issue with the dark theme on Instagram.
Apparently, the dark theme causes the close sign to be not visible.
Hence, many users are unable to remove the “Video can’t be posted” notification.
Here are some methods to remove the “Video can’t be posted” notification:
- Method 1: Change Instagram’s theme from dark to light to see the close sign.
- Method 2: Tap on the far right of the notification and an option will appear to delete the post.
- Method 3: Long press on the post and the “Discarded Post” pop-up will open.
- Method 4: Uninstall and reinstall Instagram to clear the notification.