Are you unable to add an external link on Instagram?
Are you getting a “We’re sorry, but something went wrong” error when tapping “Done”?
If so, you won’t be able to add a link to your bio.
The Instagram app has many bugs and glitches.
Some of them can be caused by the latest update.
If that’s the case, there’s nothing that you can do to fix it except wait.
In this guide, you’ll learn why you can’t add an external link and how to fix the “Add external link” not working on Instagram.
- Why can’t I add an external link on Instagram?
- How to fix “Add external link” not working on Instagram
Why can’t I add an external link on Instagram?
You can’t add an external link on Instagram because there’s an ongoing bug/glitch on the app.
As of late October, many users are unable to use the “Add external link” feature.
Apparently, it’s a global issue, and it’s caused by Instagram’s end.
Many users are reporting that they are unable to add an external link to their Instagram bio.
“Instagram removed the link in my bio and doesn’t let me add it back. It says “Something went wrong, try again”. My second page has the same issues. Fix it, please! Oh, and my app is up to date”.
“Instagram automatically removed my website link from my bio, I can’t add any links, when I’m adding it says that something went wrong”.
“For some reason, my IG bio link defaulted back to a podcast episode I promoted weeks ago. I can’t change it on mobile and desktop since that functionality has been removed. Great job @instagram”.
How to fix “Add external link” not working on Instagram
To fix the “Add external link” not working on Instagram, you need to download an older version of Instagram (for Android users).
Otherwise, you need to wait until Instagram fixes the functionality on their end because it’s not working as intended.
You can check if others are facing the same issue by searching for it on Twitter.
If there are, it means that Instagram is down or some functionalities are not working.
If that’s the case, Instagram will release a follow-up update to fix the issues.
- As of late October, the “Add external link” feature is not working for thousands of users.
- Many users reported that their links were removed from their bio and they won’t able to add them back.
- A way to fix this is to download an older version of Instagram from UptoDown: https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/android/versions (for Android users only).
- If you’re using an iOS device, you need to wait until Instagram fixes the link feature on their end.
- You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if it fixes the issue (this will clear Instagram’s cache and you’ll have to log in again).
Instagram is under fire for the lack of support and constant bugs on the app.
They’ve failed to address their users’ concerns over and over again.
The inability to add an external link to your bio is just one of many flaws.
For now, you need to wait until the feature is fixed by Instagram because the issue is not caused on your end.
In the meantime, you can use the “Link” sticker in your stories.