Instagram Reels is similar to TikTok and YouTube Shorts.
A Reel is a short-form video that is usually 15 seconds long.
In the beginning, the Reels feature was not available globally.
It was only available in some countries like the United States and Canada.
After lengthy testing—Instagram released the feature globally.
Despite its global release, not everyone has the Reels option.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix the Instagram Reels option not showing, missing, or not working.
Why is the Instagram Reels option not showing?
The Instagram Reels option is not showing because it’s not available in your country yet.
Otherwise, you didn’t give Instagram permission to access your photos, microphone, or camera.
Some users reported that the Reels option is missing from the app even though they had it before.
Other users reported that they have the option in one account but don’t have it in another.
How to fix Instagram Reels not showing
To fix Instagram Reels not showing, you need to give Instagram all permissions.
This includes permission to access your photos, microphone, and camera.
You can also try downloading an older version of Instagram or updating the app.
Other troubleshooting methods include using a VPN or reinstalling the app.
Fix 1: Give Instagram all permissions
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and select “Instagram”.
- Allow Instagram to access “All Photos”.
- Enable “Microphone”.
- Enable “Camera”.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select “App management”.
- Select “Instagram” followed by “Permissions”.
- Allow “Camera”, “Microphone”, and “Storage”.
Fix 2: Download an older version of Instagram
- Delete Instagram from your Android device.
- Visit https://instagram.en.uptodown.com/.
- Select “Older versions”.
- Choose an older version of the app.
- Select “Download” to download the APK.
Note: This only works for Android devices—if you’re using an iPhone, try the methods below instead.
Fix 3: Update the Instagram app
- Open the App Store or Google Play Store and search for “Instagram”.
- Select “Update” to update Instagram.
- If you don’t see an “Update” option, check back later.
Fix 4: Other troubleshooting methods
- Connect to a VPN: Install a free VPN app and connect to a United States/Canada/United Kingdom VPN.
- Force quit and reopen the app: Swipe up from the middle of your screen > swipe up on Instagram > reopen Instagram.
- Clear the app’s cache: For Android: Settings > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache. For iPhone: Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Instagram > Offload app > Reinstall App.
- Uninstall and reinstall the app: Delete Instagram from your home screen and reinstall it from the App Store or Google Play Store.