Are you getting a “Something you sent in a chat went against our community guidelines” error on Instagram?
Under the error, you’ll see a “See Community Guidelines” button.
When you tap on the button, you’ll be redirected to the community guidelines page.
There is no option for you to appeal and you won’t be able to send messages.
In this guide, you’ll learn why Instagram said that you went against their guidelines and how to remove the community guidelines strike/problem.
- Why does Instagram say that I went against their community guidelines?
- How to remove community guidelines strike on Instagram
Why does Instagram say that I went against their community guidelines?
Instagram says that you went against their guidelines because you’ve violated one or more of their community guidelines.
In some cases, you might get a community guidelines violation because of an algorithm mistake.
Recently, Instagram’s latest update changed the algorithm that detects community guideline violations in messages.
As a result, many users got blocked from sending messages even though they didn’t do anything wrong.
Other users got their posts and stories taken down even though it does not contain violence, nudity, etc.
The error message can happen on both Instagram and Facebook Messenger.
Here are some of the reports, “So I tried to reply to my wife on Messenger and I found out that I’m unable to send messages for 3 days”.
“The same thing happened to me when I was chatting with a buddy”.
“I can’t message customers on my personal page or business pages”.
Most users said that they were restricted because of alleged exploitation.
It seems like the Instagram team needs to fix its algorithm to prevent it from mistakenly restricting people.
How to remove community guidelines strike on Instagram
To remove the community guidelines strike on Instagram, you can either wait for 3 days or use Instagram Web.
You can also use another account or report a problem on the Instagram app.
Otherwise, you need to wait for Instagram to release a new update to fix the algorithm.
Currently, the algorithm is mistakenly restricting people from sending messages even though they didn’t violate the community guidelines.
Fix 1: Wait for 3 days
- To send messages or post again, you need to wait for 3 days.
- In some cases, you might need to wait for more than 3 days to be unrestricted.
- The community guidelines violation is temporary and it’ll eventually be lifted.
- You can check your account’s status by navigating to Profile > Menu > Settings > Account > Account status.
Fix 2: Use Instagram Web
- If you’re restricted from sending messages, you can try using the web version of Instagram to send messages.
- Method 1: Go to instagram.com on a PC, log in to your account, select “Messages”, and try sending a message.
- Method 2: Download Instagram from the Microsoft Store, log in to your account, and try sending a message.
Fix 3: Use another account
- If you’re restricted from sending messages from one account, you won’t be restricted on another.
- To switch accounts, go to your profile, tap on your username, and select the account that you want to switch to.
- If you don’t have another Instagram account, you need to create one by going to your profile, tapping on your username, and selecting “Add account”.
Fix 4: Report a problem
- Go to your Instagram profile and tap on the menu icon.
- Settings > Help > Report a Problem.
- Report a Problem > Include and Continue.
- Explain your problem and send the report.
Note: If you’ve enabled “Shake phone to report a problem”, open a message, shake your phone, and report a problem there.